Sunday, January 30, 2011

Putnam County Spelling Bee for the Under 12 Crowd?

The Papermill box office is advising that their new show is not appropriate for children under age 12.  Having just seen it today, I wanted to provide seem insight to this recommendation.  I think its hurting sales, as there were far fewer family groups in the audience today than at Hairspray or Les Miz earlier this year.

The biggest "sensitivity" issue is a song about a teenage boy's erection--mind/body problem during the spelling bee.
My unfortunate erection
Is destroying my perfection
It is my recollection
That everything I once did
I did perfectly
(spoken) Last year�s champ defeated!
(sung) Because of
Marigold Coneybear
Because there�s something and not a thing between us
I don�t blame my brain but I do blame my penis

No violence, no drugs, no nudity.  Gay parents, which were treated relatively respectfully.   Alot of humor, much of which I think a younger kid would miss.  But if my 10 yr didn't hate musical theater, I would have been ok with taking him.  In the end, the show is really about how a desire to please parents makes kids anxious.  A good conversation starter, with or without the erection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment