Tuesday, February 22, 2011

How to spend $275,000

Today is the first day in the least 14 or so years that I haven't had regular child care, give or take a few transitions.  In nearly 14 years, my back of the envelope estimate is that I have spent about $275,000 on child care, ignoring taxes, summer camp, bonuses, an extra car, extra car repairs etc.!   And that's with relatively modestly-priced child care---nanny shares, au pairs, and even a neighbor. 
 
Has it been worth it?  Well, I've brought home more money than I've spent on child care, as well as socked away retirement savings, gotten health care, made friendships, and grown as a person and professional.  We've been incredibly lucky to have had nearly consistently excellent care and lovely women in our lives.  But its time for a change...

So wish me luck, healthy children and few snow days!   

No comments:

Post a Comment