Monday, March 21, 2011

What I'm cooking this week: Chicken with Sun Dried Tomatoes

Shoprite has sundried tomatoes on sale this week..Nonna Mia 9oz for $2.49--a great price.  These are packed without oil and I found them in the produce section by the regular tomatoes.  Here is the recipe I made with them last night...this will be getting a repeat performance at my house, since everyone enjoyed it.  I used the crockpot, but I'm sure you could do the whole thing in the oven.

Chicken with Sun Dried Tomatoes
(adapted from Cooking Italian in the Crockpot)

3 1/2 pounds bone in chicken, skin removed
1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
6 garlic cloves, sliced
3 large sprigs of fresh rosemary
1/2 cup dry red wine
2 tbs balsamic vinegar


Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.  Put in crockpot and and tuck the tomatoes, garlic and rosemary around the chicken pieces.  Measure your wine and add the vinegar to the cup.  Pour over the chicken.
Cook for about 5 hours or until chicken is tender.  I like to broil my crockpot chicken in the oven for the last 20 minutes, so I transferred to a dish for the oven.

The sauce this produces is tangy and delicious, so consider serving with rice or couscous.  And maybe some nice Italian bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment